Teaching Intern (KG to Grade 6) – Anticipatory
Calgary French & International School (CFIS) is a full French language immersion co-educational independent school, serving nearly 730 students from preschool through to Grade 12. For over 50 years, families have chosen CFIS because of our immersive French language learning environment that inspires children’s unique curiosity and exploration of the world around them.
Our dedicated faculty, staff and administration team partner with CFIS families to provide an extraordinary learning experience. Our students benefit from innovative teaching and learning approaches to address global challenges, and are empowered to take responsibility as open-minded, curious citizens who are prepared for the ever-changing world around them.
Purpose of Position
As part of our commitment to recruiting and retaining the best quality educators, CFIS is seeking a candidate for a paid teaching internship opportunity for May and June 2023. This position is intended for new graduates of B.Ed. programs, beginning teachers and/or teachers who are new to Canada.
The teaching intern will be assigned to a primary classroom or to various classrooms, where they will be given coaching and mentorship by an experienced teacher. Responsibilities and teaching assignments will increase as the intern demonstrates readiness. The teaching intern will receive ongoing support, mentorship, and feedback, in the areas of:
- Short and long-term curriculum planning;
- Lesson delivery and differentiation;
- Evaluation, assessment, and documentation of student progress;
- Behaviour management;
- Classroom organization/management;
- Parent communication;
- Inquiry-based learning;
- Developmentally-appropriate practice;
- Implementation and integration of instructional technology; and
- Working collaboratively with colleagues.
Throughout the term of this position, the intern and mentor teacher will work as partners to follow a structured progression wherein the intern has opportunities to develop skills and knowledge.
- Homework/Tutoring Program
- Plan, program, and supervise students requiring some additional supports for identified students;
- One-hour either before or after school depending on scheduling.
- Other possible responsibilities of internship positions include:
- Lunchroom and recess supervision.
Qualifications and requirements
- Bachelor of Education or equivalent;
- Interim Alberta teaching certification;
- Valid CPR & First Aid certification;
- Fluently bilingual (French and English);
- Experience with children ages 4 to 12; and
- Most recent practicum evaluation submitted with the resume.
Less than 1year full-time K-12 teaching experience within Canada is required. The successful applicant will need to provide a recent Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening prior to commencing work.
- Full participation in internal Professional Development opportunities; and
- Priority consideration for teaching opportunities at CFIS in the 2023-2024 school year.
Skills, Technical and Behavioural Competencies Required
- Strong planner and organizer with exemplary communication skills;
- Written and oral communication skills in English and French;
- Commitment to quality educational experiences for children;
- Understanding of the philosophy and principles of French Immersion education;
- Interpersonal skills that foster collegiality and blend with CFIS’s values; and
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning and growth.
As per 0.8 of the CFIS teaching salary grid.
If this position sounds like the perfect fit for you, please submit your cover letter and resume to Apply Now. Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At CFIS we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway with a cover letter and resume describing why you are a great fit and to help us learn more about you. You may be just the right candidate!
We thank all applicants in advance for their submission.