Specialized Language Coordinator
Calgary French & International School (CFIS) is a full French language immersion co-educational independent school, serving nearly 730 students from preschool through to Grade 12. For over 50 years, families have chosen CFIS because of our immersive French language learning environment that inspires children’s unique curiosity and exploration of the world around them.
Our dedicated faculty, staff and administration team partner with CFIS families to provide an extraordinary learning experience. Our students benefit from innovative teaching and learning approaches to address global challenges, and are empowered to take responsibility as open-minded, curious citizens who are prepared for the ever-changing world around them.
REPORTS TO: ECE/Elementary Curriculum Coordinator
POSITION GROUP: Aligns with ECE Lead Teacher roles
STATUS: Full-Time, Temporary
CFIS is seeking candidates for a Specialized Language Facilitator position in our Elementary Division for the 2023-2024 school year. This position will work primarily in CFIS’ Embark program – a transitional French immersion program for students in grades 1 and up, who do not have prior French language experience. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
In collaboration with the Elementary Curriculum Coordinator:
- Develop and implement a unique instructional curriculum to support CFIS Embark students;
- Provide direct instruction to support language acquisition for Embark students, including oral language, receptive language, reading, and writing;
- Participate in the planning of individualized programs and instructional activities;
- Support classroom teachers in scaffolding instruction for Embark students;
- Implement programming for the needs of children in a collaborative manner;
- Work with children individually or in small groups to develop knowledge, skills, and competencies;
- Communicate with families and classroom teachers of Embark students regarding students’ progress in the area of language acquisition;
- Participate in maintaining a safe, clean, and welcoming classroom environment;
- Support students’ ongoing development and growth, in alignment with best practices in French immersion education;
- Maintain professional attitudes and loyalty to CFIS;
- Participate in professional workshops or courses;
- Participate in student supervision;
- Maintain confidentiality about children, their families, and other employees inside and outside of the school; and
- Other duties as needed.
Qualifications and requirements
- Post-secondary certificate or diploma in ECE, child studies, instructional support, or related field;
- Post secondary education in a related field (education, social work, psychology, etc.) either in progress or complete;
- Experience planning and implementing academic support and programming for elementary students;
- Valid Standard First Aid certification;
- Fluent spoken French is required;
- Proficiency in English is an asset.
Prior experience with children in Grades 1-3 is desirable. The successful applicant will need to provide an updated Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Note that this is not a certificated teaching position, although certificated teachers are welcome to apply.
Skills, Technical and Behavioural Competencies Required:
- Proven success in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with teachers, parents and students;
- Awareness of best practices in French immersion education;
- Sensitivity to the needs and feelings of others;
- Warm, friendly, positive personality;
- Ability to relate well to children and colleagues;
- Strong independent organizational skills;
- Exemplary communication skills;
- Professionalism in dealing with all stakeholders;
- Interpersonal skills that foster collegiality and blend with CFIS’s values; and
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth.
As per the CFIS non- certificated ECE Lead Teacher salary grid.
The posting will remain open until the position is filled.
If this position sounds like the perfect fit for you, please submit your resume to Apply Now. Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At CFIS we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway with a cover letter and resume describing why you are a great fit and to help us learn more about you. You may be just the right candidate!
We thank all applicants in advance for their submission.