Numeracy Coach, Lower Elementary
Calgary French & International School (CFIS) is a full French language immersion co-educational independent school, serving over 750 students from preschool through to Grade 12. CFIS develops each student’s individual and academic potential in an academically rigorous program that is enriched with internationally-focused learning experiences and engagement in athletics and the fine arts. CFIS values openness, inquisitiveness, and understanding of both the community and the world beyond each student’s experience, and provides its students and employees with opportunities to lead and grow in a culture of mutual respect, creativity, innovation, and critical thinking. CFIS is a caring and supportive community for its students, faculty, and staff.
This assignment may be combined with other teaching duties to reflect a 1.0 FTE. The successful candidate will fill this role to replace a teacher on maternity leave.
Teacher leaders can expand their reach beyond the classroom by sharing their expertise with colleagues and developing a strong school culture through peer support, collaboration, and trust. The Numeracy Coach position is an opportunity to work closely with the lower elementary team and the Department of Student Learning and Well-being to ensure student learning through individual, small group support as well as the purposeful sharing of effective practices, peer coaching to enhance student learning. The numeracy coach will be provided with opportunities to further mentor their colleagues in creating learning environments and activities that meet the needs of all students
Responsibilities of this role will include:
- Research and provide content knowledge and resources to staff about learning and teaching numeracy;
- Research and provide materials to teachers;
- Work with smaller reading groups (grades 1 to 3) to build on students’ skills and improve mathematics abilities;
- Work directly with student services to implement recommendations and program improvements for numeracy;
- Research and provide information and guidance regarding a range of effective and innovative numeracy practices through various activities such as : individual discussions (informal and formal), coaching sessions, demonstration lessons with pre- and post-discussion/analysis, study groups, staff meetings, professional development programs;
- Provide training and expertise in assessment techniques and in the interpretation of assessment results; and
- Meet regularly with grade level teams to further support students in their abilities.
Qualifications and requirements
- Bachelor of Education;
- Eligible for or in possession of an Alberta Permanent or Interim Teaching Certificate;
- Expertise, training and experience in numeracy;
- Fluently bilingual (French and English) is required for this position; and
- Valid first-aid certification (or willingness to obtain).
Prior experience teaching is desirable. The successful candidate will need to provide an updated Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening and proof of full COVID-19 vaccination (two shots approved by Health Canada) prior to commencing work.
Skills, Technical and Behavioural Competencies Required:
- Strong planner and organizer with exemplary communication skills;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in French and English;
- Committed to providing quality educational experiences for students;
- Understanding of the philosophy and principles of French immersion education is an asset;
- Understanding and knowledge in numeracy, differentiation and child development;
- Interpersonal skills that foster collegiality and blend with CFIS’s values;
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth; and
- Desire to pursue training with the International Baccalaureate organization.
International teaching experience is desirable but not essential.