Library Clerk (Preschool to Grade 6)
Calgary French & International School (CFIS) is a full French language immersion co-educational independent school, serving over 750 students from preschool through to Grade 12. CFIS develops each student’s individual and academic potential in an academically rigorous program that is enriched with internationally-focused learning experiences and engagement in athletics and the fine arts. CFIS values openness, inquisitiveness, and understanding of both the community and the world beyond each student’s experience, and provides its students and employees with opportunities to lead and grow in a culture of mutual respect, creativity, innovation, and critical thinking. CFIS is a caring and supportive community for its students, faculty, and staff.
REPORT TO: Elementary Learning Commons Technician
POSITION GROUP: Non-Faculty
STATUS: 10 Month, Temporary
CFIS is seeking a Library Clerk for the 2022-2023 school year. The shift for this position is from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. Responsibilities of this role are to perform support activities involved in operating the Learning Commons by assisting the Library Technician and following established rules, procedures and policies. This person will participate in all circulation desk work such as check-ins, check-outs, and orientating patrons within the library.
The responsibilities of this position cover the following areas:
- Promote the materials available in the Learning Commons by creating thematic displays;
- Aid the Library Technician in selection and deselection of materials in the Learning Commons;
- Inform students on how to use the Learning Commons, locate materials and develop proper research skills;
- Supervise the Learning Commons;
- Help with general housekeeping including re-shelving and book repair;
- Assist the Library Technician with tasks related to the library catalog, including data entry and account maintenance;
- Assist teachers in appropriate ways;
- Treat all children with dignity and respect;
- Maintain professional attitudes and loyalty to CFIS;
- Attend monthly divisional staff meeting;
- Maintain confidentiality about children, their families, and other employees inside and outside of the school;
- Supervise outside playground activities;
- Follow directions given by the Library Technician; and
- Other duties as needed.
As per the CFIS pay grid.
The posting will remain open until the position is filled. If you meet the above qualifications and wish to apply, please click here to Apply Now. All applicants are thanked in advance for their submissions.
Qualifications and requirements
- High School Diploma;
- A valid first aid certificate, or willing to obtain;
- Bilingual (French and English) preferred; and
- Experience with children would be an asset.
The successful candidate will need to provide an updated Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening and proof of full COVID-19 vaccination (two shots approved by Health Canada) prior to commencing work.
Skills, Technical and Behavioural Competencies Required:
- Sensitive to the needs and feelings of others;
- Warm and friendly personality;
- Able to relate well to children and employees;
- Exemplary communication skills;
- Model professionalism in dealing with all stakeholders;
- Understanding of the philosophy and principles of French Immersion education;
- Interpersonal skills that foster collegiality and the common goals of CFIS mission, vision, and values;
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning and growth; and
- Computer skills and knowledge.