Late French Immersion Grade 6
Temporary for the remainder of the 22/23 school year
Yukon’s Capital is a dynamic, multi-cultural city, offering urban services and boundless recreational possibilities all within a pristine wilderness. In addition, Whitehorse is home to a vibrant francophone community.
École Whitehorse Elementary is located within the traditional territory of the people of Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the Ta’an Kwäch’än Council. It is a single track French Immersion school, Grades K-7 with a student population of approximately 450. Students enjoy specialty classes in the arts, outdoor education, Applied Design Skills Technology, Southern Tuchone First Nations Language and Physical Education.
All Yukon schools seek to support students in reaching their full potential.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Please clearly demonstrate on your cover letter and resume, how you meet the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor of Education or equivalent with specialization in elementary education;
- Post-secondary training in teaching French Immersion and/or second language acquisition would be an asset;
- Recent teaching experience and/or pre-service practicum teaching experience in elementary French Immersion Programming;
- Experience using experiential instruction;
- Fully fluent in French and English.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND SUITABILITY:
- Knowledge of effective instructional practices in literacy and numeracy including the ability to apply assessment for, as and of student learning within an inclusive French Immersion context;
- Effective classroom management, planning, and organization skills;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills working with students, parents, administration, other staff members, and consultants;
- Willingness to deliver curriculum through outdoor experiential activities;
- Ability to work as a member of a professional team and willingness to participate in the total school program;
- Ability to provide positive intervention in a developmentally responsive way including the promotion of student self-regulation and restorative approach;
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the culture and aspirations of Yukon First Nations people and a culturally diverse student population.
- French proficiency level desired: C1
- If you are interested in the teaching position, please indicate clearly in your resume that you are bilingual (oral and written skills) and your proficiency in both official languages. French Language Proficiency will be tested as part of the assessment process.
- As English is the administrative language in the Government of Yukon, your cover letter and resume must be submitted in English.
- To be a Teacher in Yukon, you must hold a Teacher Certification in another Canadian province/territory first;
- Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Relocation may be available.