French Teacher (Immersion and Core French)
Come teach French immersion on PEI! Enseigner le français langue seconde à l’Î.-P.-É.
The Public Schools Branch serves more than 19,000 students from kindergarten to Grade 12 and employs more than 4,000 people across Prince Edward Island. More than half of our 56 English schools offer an immersion program, including early immersion, mid immersion and late immersion, as well as Core French programs.
Why choose the PSB?
Working at the PSB is choosing to propel your career in an environment, which supports people to share their ideas and to take up challenges. Educational success, wellness, communications and resources anchor us as a quality educational organization and an employer of choice. We offer competitive salaries, professional development opportunities and an advantageous benefit package.
Working on Prince Edward Island means choosing to breathe in the ocean air, to walk on warm sandy beaches, to surround yourself by diverse cultures, to experience sea-based culinary delights and to discover a little piece of paradise on Canada’s east coast. It is an ideal place to raise a young family, with all the services of a large city or province. Most people live minutes from their workplace and minutes from the ocean. This is the Island way of life.
We are currently inviting applicants to apply for anticipated teaching opportunities in one of our 30 dual track schools offering French Immersion in K-12 across PEI.
The Public Schools Branch will be interviewing for French Immersion and Core French positions that will be available as a Probationary Contract and/or a Fixed Term Contract during the 2022-2023 school year.
Contracts will be offered after vacant positions have been advertised in transfer to current permanent and probationary teachers of the PSB.
Interviews will be held as soon as possible and successful applicants will be notified.
School and grade level assignments will be confirmed by mid-June.
Qualifications and requirements
· Meet the French Language Proficiency requirement as determined by the Ministers Directive; Superior or Exempt for French Immersion and Advanced for Core French (see Department of Education and Lifelong Learning website for additional information);
· Have or be eligible to hold a valid PEI Teacher’s (see Department of Education and Lifelong Learning website for additional information);
· Good understanding of language acquisition;
· Knowledge of differentiated instruction;
· Knowledge of effective teaching strategies;
· Knowledge of student learning needs and curriculum at the grade level;
· Knowledge of the play-based curriculum (required for Kindergarten positions only);
· Knowledge of and experience with modifications to curriculum;
· Effective oral and written communication skills in English and French;
· Ability to utilize a rich variety of teaching strategies;
· Good classroom management and organizational skills;
· Be able to demonstrate: teamwork, collaborative practices, superior interpersonal skills and commitment to ongoing learning and school community
The following would be considered assets:
· Experience with PowerSchool
· Experience with IEP’s and Running Records.