French Immersion Teacher Intermediate
This posting is for anticipatory hiring of various positions (permanent and temporary) in Grades 4-7 for 2 French Immersion Elementary schools located in Whitehorse, YT. Assessments will be completed and successful candidates will receive an offer in order of ranking.
Yukon’s Capital is a dynamic, multi-cultural city, offering urban services and boundless recreational possibilities all within a pristine wilderness. In addition, Whitehorse is home to a vibrant francophone community.
Both schools are located within the traditional territory of the people of Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the Ta’an Kwäch’än Council.
École Whitehorse Elementary is a single track French Immersion school, Grades K-7 with a student population of approximately 450. Students enjoy specialty classes in the arts, outdoor education, Applied Design Skills Technology, Southern Tuchone First Nations Language and Physical Education.
Selkirk Elementary School is a dual track English/French elementary school, Grades K – 7 with a student population of approximately 365. Key to Selkirk Elementary School’s philosophy is the incorporation of social emotional learning, developmentally responsive practice, and balanced literacy and numeracy programming.
All Yukon schools seek to support students in reaching their full potential.
Qualifications and requirements
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Please clearly demonstrate on your cover letter and resume, how you meet the following qualifications and experience:
· Bachelor of Education or equivalent with specialization in elementary education;
· Post-secondary training in teaching French Immersion and/or second language acquisition would be an asset;
· Recent teaching experience and/or pre-service practicum teaching experience in elementary French Immersion Programming;
· Experience using experiential instruction;
· Fully fluent in French and English.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND SUITABILITY:
· Knowledge of effective instructional practices in literacy and numeracy including the ability to apply assessment for, as and of student learning within an inclusive French Immersion context;
· Effective classroom management, planning, and organization skills;
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills working with students, parents, administration, other staff members, and consultants;
· Willingness to deliver curriculum through outdoor experiential activities;
· Ability to work as a member of a professional team and willingness to participate in the total school program;
· Ability to provide positive intervention in a developmentally responsive way including the promotion of student self-regulation and restorative approach;
· Knowledge of and sensitivity to the culture and aspirations of Yukon First Nations people and a culturally diverse student population.
· Clearly indicate in your cover letter and resume how your qualifications and experience match this posting, including your fluency in both French and English;
· French Language Proficiency will be tested as part of the assessment process;
French proficiency level desired: C1;
· English is the administrative language in the Government of Yukon, so please submit your cover letter and resume in both English and French;
· To be a Teacher in Yukon, you must hold a Teacher Certification in another Canadian province/territory first;
· Successful applicants will be required to undergo a security/vulnerable sector check;
· Relocation support may be available;
· As per Government of Yukon’s Public Services (COVID-19) Vaccination Regulation, all public servants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the Government of Yukon.
TO APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY, GO TO: