French Immersion Primary – 1.0 FTE
Yukon’s Capital is a dynamic, multi-cultural city, offering urban services and boundless recreational possibilities all within a pristine wilderness. In addition, Whitehorse is home to a vibrant francophone community.
Selkirk Elementary School is located within the traditional territory of the people of Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the Ta’an Kwäch’än Council. Selkirk Elementary School is a dual track English/French elementary school, Grades K – 7 with a student population of approximately 365. Key to Selkirk Elementary School’s philosophy is the incorporation of social emotional learning, developmentally responsive practice, and balanced literacy and numeracy programming.
All Yukon schools seek to support students in reaching their full potential.
Qualifications and requirements
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Please clearly demonstrate on your cover letter and resume, how you meet the following qualifications and experience:
· Bachelor of Education or equivalent with specialization in elementary education;
· Post-secondary training in teaching French Immersion and/or second language acquisition would be an asset;
· Recent teaching experience and/or pre-service practicum teaching experience in primary French Immersion Programming;
· Experience using experiential and play-based instruction;
· Fully fluent in French and English.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND SUITABILITY:
· Knowledge of effective instructional practices in literacy and numeracy including the ability to apply assessment for, as and of student learning within an inclusive French Immersion context;
· Effective classroom management, planning, and organization skills;
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills working with students, parents, administration, other staff members, and consultants;
· Willingness to deliver curriculum through outdoor experiential activities;
· Ability to work as a member of a professional team and willingness to participate in the total school program;
· Ability to provide positive intervention in a developmentally responsive way including the promotion of student self-regulation and restorative approach;
· Knowledge of and sensitivity to the culture and aspirations of Yukon First Nations people and a culturally diverse student population.
· French proficiency level desired: C1
· If you are interested in the teaching position, please indicate clearly in your resume that you are bilingual (oral and written skills) and your proficiency in both official languages. French Language Proficiency will be tested as part of the assessment process.
· As English is the administrative language in the Government of Yukon, your cover letter and resume must be submitted in English.
· To be a Teacher in Yukon, you must hold a Teacher Certification in another Canadian province/territory first;
· Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
· Relocation may be available.
TO APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY, GO TO: