French Immersion Intermediate – (2 positions)
Temporary full time for 21/22 school year
Selkirk Elementary School is a dual track English/French elementary school with a student population of approximately 340. Key to Selkirk Elementary School’s philosophy is the incorporation of social emotional learning, developmentally responsive practice, and balanced literacy and numeracy programming. The ideal candidate will possess values, knowledge and skills necessary to co-create a strong, relevant and culturally inclusive French Immersion teaching and learning classroom; a learning community where each student is supported to reach their full potential.
Qualifications and requirements
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Please clearly demonstrate on your cover letter and resume, how you meet the following qualifications and experience:
· Bachelor of Education or equivalent with specialization in elementary and/or middle school education;
· Post-secondary training in teaching French Immersion and/or second language acquisition;
· Recent teaching experience and/or pre-service practicum teaching experience in an intermediate and/or middle school, French Immersion Program;
· Recent experience in the delivery of a balanced literacy and/or numeracy instruction;
· Recent experience with land/place-based education, inquiry based, and/or outdoor education;
· Training and experience in the Neurolinguistic Approach (certification preferred) would be an asset;
· Fully fluent in English and French.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND SUITABILITY:
· Knowledge of and sensitivity to the culture and aspirations of Yukon First Nations people and a culturally diverse student population;
· Ability to integrate Indigenous ways of knowing, doing and being throughout teaching and learning;
· A philosophy of inclusive education and developmentally responsive approach to students;
· Excellent classroom management, planning and organization skills;
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills working with students, parents, administration, other staff members and consultants;
· Ability and/or willingness to provide positive intervention strategies in a developmentally responsive way including the promotion of student self-regulation and restorative practices;
· Ability to implement Student Learning, Behavior, Safety and Individual Education Plans;
· Ability to provide interactive learning experiences through the integrated use of technology;
· Strong understanding of the developmental nature of numeracy and literacy skills;
· Familiarity with research-based teaching practices and a willingness to implement a balanced approach to literacy and numeracy instruction;
· Ability to work as a member of a professional team and to participate in the total school program;
· Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (NCI) training is an asset.
· French proficiency level desired: C1
· Clearly outline in both your cover letter and resume how your specific qualifications and experience align with the stated criteria.
· If you are interested in the teaching position, please indicate clearly in your resume that you are bilingual (oral and written skills) and your proficiency in both official languages. French Language Proficiency will be tested as part of the assessment process.
· As English is the administrative language in the Government of Yukon, your cover letter and resume must be submitted in English.
· To be a Teacher in Yukon, you must hold a Teacher Certification in another Canadian province/territory first;
· Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
· Relocation may be available.