Camp Counselors (Camp CFIS)
Calgary French & International School (CFIS) is a full French language immersion co-educational independent school, serving nearly 730 students from preschool through to Grade 12. For over 50 years, families have chosen CFIS because of our immersive French language learning environment that inspires children’s unique curiosity and exploration of the world around them.
Our dedicated faculty, staff and administration team partner with CFIS families to provide an extraordinary learning experience. Our students benefit from innovative teaching and learning approaches to address global challenges, and are empowered to take responsibility as open-minded, curious citizens who are prepared for the ever-changing world around them.
Camp CFIS is an extension of CFIS’s Before and After School Program. The Camp operates during the school’s summer closure. In 2023, there are three camp programs for differing age groups:
1. Mighty Munchkins for children aged 3 to 4.5 years who are entering Preschool or Junior Kindergarten.
2. Kickoff To Kindergarten for children entering Kindergarten in September.
3. Clever Kids for children entering Grades 1-3 in September.
The camps will be held from 8 to 18 August. Counsellors will work August 3 and 4 for programming and setup.
Camp CFIS is seeking candidates for Camp Counselor positions in one or both of the summer camp weeks. The Camp Counselor position will work alongside the CFIS Coordinator of BAS and Auxiliary Programs.
Camp CFIS is for children from preschool to grade 3, who will have access to the outdoor spaces around the school and in the neighborhood, as well as the gym as a home base.
A planned week of activities will include the following:
- · Guest presenters and at least one field trip (Kindergarten to grade 3 Kids).
- · Indoor games, crafts and culinary activities planned by a camp team with children’s input
- · Outdoor games including ball sports, playground play, crafts and activities.
- · Geocaching and exploring hidden areas in the neighborhood.
Kickoff To Kindergarten:
This camp is for children entering Kindergarten in the 2023-24 school year. The week will mock a regular Kindergarten day of both indoor and outdoor activities, learning through play and instruction.
The experience will allow children to have an easier transition into a Kindergarten program.
AROUND THE WORLD IN 4 DAYS ( first week):
It is a 4-day camp that will focus on the cultures and traditions around the world through such things as foods, celebrations, music, art, customs, rituals, and language.
SUPER SCIENTISTS (second week):
Because science plays a major role in almost everything we do and observe, we want to incorporate simple science concepts into fun experiments, countless art and sensory activities, and even into some of the crafts you do with the children.
Camp Counselor Roles and Responsibilities:
The Camp Counselor is responsible for, but not limited to the following:
● Provide thorough and active supervision of students at all times, and developmentally appropriate behavioral guidance;
● Supervise indoor and outdoor play, outings, rest, and meal times;
● Providing input into the activity plan;
● Assist in the implementation of the daily program and instructional activities;
● Participate in maintaining a safe, clean, and welcoming classroom environment;
● Communication in French with children that comprehend French language
● Assist the BAS Coordinator with administration tasks such as attendance, safety checks, etc.;
● Maintain professional attitudes and loyalty to CFIS;
● Communicate with parents upon arrival and departure;
● Maintain confidentiality about children, their families, and other employees inside and outside of the school; and
● Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements
The Camp Counselor must have:
● Fluent spoken English is required, Fluent spoken French is an asset.
● Experience supervising groups of children, preferably ages 3 to 8;
● Experience planning and leading programming for children is an asset;
● Previous experience in day camps, overnight camps, or recreational/education programs for children is an asset;
● First Aid is an asset; and
● Must be an adult in the Province of AB.
The successful candidate will need to provide, or have on file, an updated Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening prior to commencing work.
Skills, Technical and Behavioral Competencies Required:
● Sensitivity to the needs and feelings of others;
● Warm, friendly, positive personality;
● Ability to relate well to children and colleagues;
● Exemplary communication skills;
● Be available for the full duration of Camp dates;
● Interpersonal skills that foster collegiality and blend with CFIS’s values; and
● Be a cooperative, collaborative team member.
As per the CFIS hourly pay grid.
The posting will remain open until noon on Monday, April 10, 2023. In-Person Interviews will be held the following week.
If this position sounds like the perfect fit for you, please submit your resume to Apply Now. Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At CFIS we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway with a cover letter and resume describing why you are a great fit and to help us learn more about you. You may be just the right candidate!
We thank all applicants in advance for their submission.