Bilingual Learning Assistance & Reading Recovery
Yukon’s Capital is a dynamic, multi-cultural city, offering urban services and boundless recreational possibilities all within a pristine wilderness. In addition, Whitehorse is home to a vibrant francophone community.
Whitehorse is located within the traditional territory of the people of Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the Ta’an Kwäch’än Council.
Selkirk Elementary School is a dual track English/French elementary school, Grades K – 7 with a student population of approximately 365. Key to Selkirk Elementary School’s philosophy is the incorporation of social emotional learning, developmentally responsive practice, and balanced literacy and numeracy programming.
All Yukon schools seek to support students in reaching their full potential.
Qualifications and requirements
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Please clearly demonstrate on your cover letter and resume, how you meet the following qualifications and experience:
· Bachelor of Education or equivalent with specialization in elementary education;
· Post-secondary training in teaching French Immersion and/or second language acquisition would be an asset;
· Post-secondary studies and/or additional teacher qualification in developmental psychology, learning and/or special education would be an asset;
· Recent teaching experience and/or pre-service practicum teaching experience in elementary French Immersion Programming;
· Experience using experiential instruction;
· Training and experience in the Neurolinguistic Approach would be an asset;
· Recent experience working with a multidisciplinary team to develop, implement, and evaluate appropriate Individual Education Plans, Student Learning Plans, Behaviour Support Plans, and Safety Plans would be an asset;
· Fully fluent in French and English;
· Recent experience and training in the delivery of Reading Recovery/Intervention preventive en lecture et en ecriture.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND SUITABILITY:
· Knowledge of effective instructional practices in balanced literacy and numeracy including the ability to apply assessment for, as and of student learning within an inclusive French Immersion context;
· Ability to provide positive intervention in a developmentally responsive way including the promotion of student self-regulation and restorative approach;
· Effective classroom management, planning, and organization skills;
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills working with students, parents, administration, other staff members, and consultants;
· Ability to support targeted intervention with students by utilizing diagnostic assessments and scaffold interventions based on data;
· Ability to work as a member of a professional team and willingness to participate in the total school program;
· Knowledge of and sensitivity to the culture and aspirations of Yukon First Nations people and a culturally diverse student population.
· If you are interested in the teaching position, please indicate clearly in your resume that you are fluent in both French and English;
· French Language Proficiency will be tested as part of the assessment process;
· French proficiency level desired: C1;
· English is the administrative language in the Government of Yukon, so please submit your cover letter and resume in both English and French;
· To be a Teacher in Yukon, you must hold a Teacher Certification in another Canadian province/territory first;
· Successful applicants will be required to undergo a security/vulnerable sector check;
· Relocation support may be available;
· As per Government of Yukon’s Public Services (COVID-19) Vaccination Regulation, all public servants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the Government of Yukon.
TO APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY, GO TO: