Assistant Teacher (Preschool to KG) – 2022/23
Calgary French & International School (CFIS) is a full French language immersion co-educational independent school, serving over 750 students from preschool through to Grade 12. CFIS develops each student’s individual and academic potential in an academically rigorous program that is enriched with internationally-focused learning experiences and engagement in athletics and the fine arts. CFIS values openness, inquisitiveness, and understanding of both the community and the world beyond each student’s experience, and provides its students and employees with opportunities to lead and grow in a culture of mutual respect, creativity, innovation, and critical thinking. CFIS is a caring and supportive community for its students, faculty, and staff.
CFIS is seeking candidates for Anticipatory Assistant Teacher positions in Early Childhood Education for the 2022-2023 school year. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in the implementation of the daily program and instructional activities;
- Work with children individually or in small groups to develop knowledge, skills, and competencies;
- Provide thorough and active supervision of students at all times, and developmentally appropriate behavioural guidance;
- Participate in maintaining a safe, clean, and welcoming classroom environment;
- Collaborate with ECE team members for program implementation and development;
- Support children’s ongoing development and growth, in alignment with best practices in early childhood and French immersion education;
- Supervise outdoor play, snack, rest, and meal times;
- Lead and implement before- and/or after-school programming for students in preschool to Grade 6;
- Maintain professional attitudes and loyalty to CFIS;
- Participate in professional workshops or courses for the improvement of Early Childhood Education;
- Maintain confidentiality about children, their families, and other employees inside and outside of the school;
- Follow directions given by lead teacher, Coordinator of Licensing and Accreditation; Coordinator of Before and After School Programs, and Principal of Early Childhood Education; and.
- Other duties as needed.
Qualifications and requirements
- Early Childhood Certification with a minimum of Level 1 Child Care Assistant required; Level 2 or higher is an asset;
- Valid Standard Level B (Childcare) First Aid certification;
- An understanding of the emergent curriculum model; and
- Fluent spoken French is required.
Prior experience with children aged 3-5 is desirable. The successful candidate will need to provide an updated Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening and proof of full COVID-19 vaccination (two shots approved by Health Canada) prior to commencing work.
Skills, Technical and Behavioural Competencies Required:
- Awareness of best practices in French immersion education;
- Awareness of licensing requirements in early childhood programs;
- Sensitivity to the needs and feelings of others;
- Warm, friendly, positive personality;
- Ability to relate well to children and colleagues;
- Exemplary communication skills;
- Professionalism in dealing with all stakeholders;
- Interpersonal skills that foster collegiality and blend with CFIS’s values; and
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth.