Assistant Teacher, Grade 1
Calgary French & International School (CFIS) is a full French language immersion co-educational independent school, serving over 750 students from preschool through to Grade 12. CFIS develops each student’s individual and academic potential in an academically rigorous program that is enriched with internationally-focused learning experiences and engagement in athletics and the fine arts. CFIS values openness, inquisitiveness, and understanding of both the community and the world beyond each student’s experience, and provides its students and employees with opportunities to lead and grow in a culture of mutual respect, creativity, innovation, and critical thinking. CFIS is a caring and supportive community for its students, faculty, and staff.
REPORTS TO: Principal of Elementary / Coordinator of BAS and Auxiliary Programs
POSITION GROUP: Support Staff
STATUS: Ten-Month, Full-Time, Probationary
CFIS is seeking candidates for an Assistant Teacher position in our Elementary Division for the 2022-23 school year. The successful candidate will work in our Grade 1 classrooms. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Assist in the implementation of the daily program and instructional activities;
· Work with children individually or in small groups to develop knowledge, skills, and competencies in literacy and numeracy;
· Provide thorough and active supervision of students at all times, and developmentally appropriate behavioural guidance;
· Participate in maintaining a safe, clean, and welcoming classroom environment;
· Collaborate with team members for program implementation and development;
· Support children’s ongoing development and growth, in alignment with best practices in French immersion education;
· Supervise outdoor recess;
· Lead and implement before- or after-school programming for students in Preschool to Grade 6;
· Maintain professional attitudes and loyalty to CFIS;
· Participate in professional workshops or courses for the improvement literacy and numeracy skills;
· Maintain confidentiality about children, their families, and other employees inside and outside of the school;
· Follow directions given by homeroom teacher, Elementary leadership team; Coordinator of BAS and Auxiliary Programs, and Principal of Elementary Division.
· Other duties as needed.
Qualifications and requirements
· Post-secondary education in a related field is an asset.
· Valid Standard Level B (Childcare) First Aid certification;
· An understanding of the emergent curriculum model;
· Fluent spoken French is required.
Prior experience providing academic support for children in kindergarten to grade 3 is desirable. The successful candidate will need to provide an updated Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening and proof of full COVID-19 vaccination (two shots approved by Health Canada) prior to commencing work.
Skills, Technical and Behavioural Competencies Required:
· Awareness of best practices in French immersion education;
· Sensitivity to the needs and feelings of others;
· Warm, friendly, positive personality;
· Ability to relate well to children and colleagues;
· Exemplary communication skills;
· Professionalism in dealing with all stakeholders;
· Interpersonal skills that foster collegiality and blend with CFIS’s values;
· Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and growth.
As per the CFIS hourly pay grid.
The posting will close at 8:00 am on Wednesday, May 11, 2022. If you meet the above qualifications and wish to apply, please click here to Apply Now. All applicants are thanked in advance for their submissions.